[mythtv-users] error when fixing database forced by mythtv upgrade

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 16 21:26:51 UTC 2009

On 10/16/2009 04:49 PM, Gary Dawes wrote:
> Thanks. Oddly enough. I have just been running mythtv-setup -v all,
> and found that it was the people table which seemed to be causing the
> problems. I've removed the data lines for that table from the .sql
> backup file, and everything has now upgraded OK. Which is a massive
> relief!

This just means that none of the remaining corruption in your database
caused MySQL errors.  So, instead of detectable schema corruption, you
now have data corruption, which could cause any number of problems in
MythTV, now or in the future.  Garbage in/garbage out, and all...

You may be thinking, "But, if the data was corrupt, before, it won't be
any less stable than 0.21-fixes was."  In fact, that's not the case.
Before, the cause of the corruption was actually silently "uncorrupting"
the data before it got to MythTV, so the data was not corrupt in Myth in
0.21-fixes.  If you force an upgrade without properly fixing the data,
you're corrupting the data in such a way that it's not fixed before it
gets into trunk/release-0-22-fixes MythTV.  Therefore, for the first
time, Myth is operating on corrupt data.

I.e. a lack of failure in a restore (or even an upgrade) does /not/ mean
your data is correct.  It simply means that it wasn't incorrect in spots
where MySQL or the MythTV database upgrade code actually notices it.

Mike