[mythtv-users] Problems with Mythbuntu/0.22/VDPAU/2.6.31

Norm mlists at dressler.ca
Sat Oct 17 01:20:01 UTC 2009

Norm wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/10/17 Norm <mlists at dressler.ca>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I upgraded my kernel to 2.6.31 on Ubuntu tonight.  I wanted that
>>> kernel for
>>> the provided HD-PVR files and so that I can look to implement the ir
>>> blaster.  2.6.31 wouldn't compile the Nvidia 185 drivers I had
>>> installed, so
>>> I installed the 190 packages.  Well, this broke mythtv packages and
>>> actually
>>> removed them.  I keep being told that libmyth-0.22-0 depends on
>>> libvdpau0 or
>>> libvdpau something that I don't have.  I downgraded nvidia to 180
>>> and it
>>> won't build either on 2.6.31.
>>>

>> nVidia drivers from where ?
>>
>> Ubuntu/MythBuntu are build against nvidia-185-libvdpau ; as the
>> default nVidia drivers are packaged with the vdpau library.
>>
>> If you are using the nvidia packages I've build on my repository, then
>> the vdpau libraries are packaged independently and all the vdpau
>> related packages are build against libvdau0 instead.
>>
>> If you are using the mythbuntu/ubuntu mythtv packages and want to use
>> the nvidia drivers I package, then you have to manually install
>> libvdpau0 ....
>>

>>> Well, the whole business has FUBAR'd my system.  I've been running
>>> 0.22 for
>>> quite some time for the vdpau and hd-pvr support.  I was using the
>>> Mythbuntu
>>> repositories, I also tried Jean-Yves repositories.
>>>

>> It's possible to combine both repository, but you need to be aware of
>> the issue mentioned above.
>>
> Ok, figured out why it wouldn't find libvdpau0.  I had added your
> testing repositories for .22 and didn't have the release repositories
> in there - which is where the libvdpau0 package was.
>
> Lets see if I can get it working now....
>
> Thanks!
> Norm
Using Jean-Yve's repository only for mythtv, and upgraded to the 180.60
nvidia-vdpau packages from there as well.

Fails to build on 2.6.31 :(
Adding Module to DKMS build system
driver version= 180.60
Doing initial module build

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel:
2.6.31-020631-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/180.60/build/ for more information.
Installing initial module

Error! Could not locate nvidia.ko for module nvidia in the DKMS tree.
You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.31-020631-generic (i686) first.
Done.

Round and round I go...  sigh.

Norm