[mythtv-users] Time lapse when capturing from VCR

Kilian kilian27 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 15:38:48 UTC 2009

For about one year, I have been running Mythbuntu 8.10 without problems
using a Hauppauge PVR-350 and analog cable TV (germany). Now, I wanted to
digitalize some old tapes from my VCR. So ein unplugged the TV cable from
the PVR-350 and plugged in the coax cable from the VCR. I started channel
scan and created a new channel number 99 for the VCR.
Everything is fine, I can see the video from the VCR in Myth's Live TV Mode
and record it by setting up a manual recording. But in those recordings from
VCR, sometimes there are lost frames (the picture jumps, and about half a
second is missing) or it looks like a time lapse. The VCR and the tapes are
ok, because I do not see these problems when the VCR is directly connected
to the TV.
When I watch the VCR tape via Myth's Live TV, every 5-6 seconds the picture
also hangs for about half a second.
This only happens when recording (resp. live watching) from the VCR, there
are no problems when recording/watching cable TV. I cannot understand this,
as both use the same input on the PVR-350. What is the difference between
the cable TV signal and the VCR signal?

Any ideas? Thanks!