[mythtv-users] Artistic users wanted (was Re: ui problem)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 17 15:54:55 UTC 2009

On 10/17/2009 12:39 AM, Josh White wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been covered, and I'm not sure how to search
> for it if it has (though I'm sure someone will point it out if it has
> been discussed), I just upgraded my 4 frontends to .22 using
> Mythbuntu/Ubuntu, and I seem to have a common problem among all of
> them.  All of the setup menus are nearly impossible to navigate.
> While using arrow keys to move from one field/button to another works,
> there is no visible indication of where the cursor is.  For example,
> if I'm in the "General Playback (1/9)" screen, I cannot tell visually
> if I have "Cancel" "< Back" "Next >" or any of the check boxes
> selected.  The only thing I can see is if I have check box toggled or
> not.  I've tried using different themes, OpenGL and QT paint engines,
> and I've tried different Qt styles, and nothing seems to make a useful
> difference.
>
> I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I did a dis-upgrade to take my
> ubuntu/mythbuntu 9.04 AMD64 machines to 9.10, so I suppose it could be
> some legacy setting causing a problem.
>
> Any ideas?

For the non-themed setup stuff, edit the qtlook.txt in the theme and
then submit the patch to Trac ( http://svn.mythtv.org/ and
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo ).

Note that you can use any text editor to directly edit the file, but
it's probably a /lot/ easier to use the Qt3 (*not* Qt4) qtconfig GUI
program to edit it for you).

The only reason it hasn't been done, yet, is because it takes some time
to get it right and, for example, Stuart Morgan (author of Terra and
Metallurgy) has been busy with all the other stuff he's doing for Myth.

Ideally, someone would do (or at least check) the qtlook.txt for Terra
and any of the other themes that have this issue.  At first glance, it
looks like Graphite, metallurgy, Mythbuntu, and MythCenter* are OK, but
Terra needs fixing.  You'll note that currently the *Active and
*Inactive colors are (mostly?) identical.  And, yes, while you can just
change themes to use setup, wouldn't you like to help with Myth
development and actually /solve/ the problem rather than work around it?

We would be /very/ appreciative if someone takes on this job.  :)

Thanks,
Mike