[mythtv-users] MythPodcaster: New Tool to automatically create Podcasts of MythTV Recordings

Scott Kidder kidder.scott at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:55:39 UTC 2009

I frequently use podcast in iTunes to keep up with news and music.  I
decided to create a Java web application that automatically generates
podcast RSS feeds for select MythTV Series recordings.  The application
accesses the MythTV database to identify recorded programs and their
metadata.  The RSS feeds link to video files stored in a location served up
by Apache HTTPD.  The video files are FFmpeg-encoded copies of the originals
in the MythTV system.  When new content is finished recording, it is
automatically transcoded and the RSS feed is updated.  Likewise, when
content is deleted from MythTV, the transcoded copy is also deleted and the
RSS feed is updated.  The Java web application allows you to select which
MythTV recordings (displayed by series) you'd like to have RSS feeds created
for.
I've been using it for the last week without any issues.  The video quality
is excellent on the iPod Touch.  The feeds show up great in iTunes, complete
with guide data for program title, description, channel name, and recording
date.

You can download MythPodcaster and see screenshots here:
http://urlgrey.net/MythPodcaster/

Please let me know what you think!  I hope others find it as useful as I do.

--
Scott Kidder