[mythtv-users] Time lapse when capturing from VCR

Kilian kilian27 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 21:18:18 UTC 2009

2009/10/17 David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>

> Kilian wrote:
>
>> When I watch the VCR tape via Myth's Live TV, every 5-6 seconds the
>> picture also hangs for about half a second.
>> This only happens when recording (resp. live watching) from the VCR, there
>> are no problems when recording/watching cable TV. I cannot understand this,
>> as both use the same input on the PVR-350. What is the difference between
>> the cable TV signal and the VCR signal?
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>>

> Is this a commercially-recorded videotape?  If it has Macrovision copy
> protection, that could cause this type of problem.  There are various
> devices you can hook up between your VCR and capture card that will fix
> this.  Try Googling for "video clarifier" or "video stabilizer."

No, one tape is home-recorded, the other was copied from an old
super-8-movie some 10 or 20 years ago by a professional service.

Another strange thing I found today: If I capture directly from /dev/video0
(dd if=/dev/video0 of=test.mpg) and watch this with mplayer, there is no
time lapse. Thus it seems to be some Myth problem, isn't it?