[mythtv-users] TRUNK not compiling under hardy, should it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 01:31:55 UTC 2009

2009/10/19 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com>:

> That's correct, as far as Ubuntu is concerned in what they support.
>
> But the idea of an LTS release, as they have put it forward, is
> that this is a release that will get support for bug fixes and
> security problems for a long period.    As a result, people will
> run it on stable systems (most notably servers) to avoid the regular
> risks and hassles of upgrade.

Qt4 is neither a bug fix nor a security fix...

> When this happens, I happen to think it makes sense that software
> packages try to build on such systems, especially software packages
> that want to run on networks of systems which might be heterogeneous.
>
> It is one thing to tell people, "To run this end user program, you
> need to upgrade your OS to the most recent version."  It is quite
> another to say, "To run this networked system, you must upgrade every
> system on your network to the latest release."
>
> Mythtv, to avoid certain development hassles, is coded so that you can't
> run a new frontend on an old backend.   To run a new frontend to get
> new frontend features, like vdpau support etc. you must run a new
> backend.    If the code won't compile on anything but the latest
> systems, it means you must upgrade multiple machines.
>
> I am not saying that this is a decision that developers mustn't make.
> They are free to put any list of system requirements they want on
> new versions to make the dev process as easy as possible.   I am
> simply discussing what the consequences are of various decisions along
> this line.

The MythTV developers have made the decision to use Qt4 ... Which is
available on all platforms AFAIK.
If you want Qt4 on your Hardy release, you can... this has nothing to
do with mythtv

> This is quite in keeping, in fact, with how most Linux based systems
> work, because there is no financial cost to upgrading a linux system.
> Because upgrading Windows costs money, windows developers commonly
> release software packages that will run even on 8 year old Windows
> computers, and almost always release code that will run on 8 year old

mythtv 0.22 will run perfectly fine on a 8 years old linux, provided
it has Qt4 installed on it

> Turns out my problem is not just a Hardy one, so I am digging into it
> further.  I had already installed qt4 some time ago, as I have been updating
> from trunk for a long time, and usually re-update every 4 to 6 months.
> This particular one broke, for reasons not yet figured out.

I've compiled mythtv on my 8.04-LTS yesterday without a problem, using
the Qt4 backport