[mythtv-users] Recordings record wrong channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 19 17:32:55 UTC 2009

On 10/19/2009 12:05 PM, Jay Foster wrote:

> > On 10/18/2009 09:24 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> >
> >> I've run into a strange problem (mythbuntu 8.10 0.21-fixes).  I
> >> have one channel that tunes the wrong channel for recordings, but
> >> tunes correctly for live TV.  How is this possible?  I'm using 2
> >> HDHR's.
> >
> > You're using Quick Tune for LiveTV and not for recordings and you
> > need to rescan your channels?
>
>  Is there any way to rescan a single channel?  It's a major PITA to
>  rescan all of them.  For each rescan, I have to reenter the XMLTV IDs
>  and channel icon paths for each channel.  And then repeat for all
>  four tuners.  This can take several hours.
>
>  It seems broken to me that MythTV would tune Live TV and recording
>  channels differently.  Why would anyone want that?

Because quick tune, though less reliable, is quicker, which is important
enough to many users during interactive LiveTV and where tuning issues
will be immediately detected by the user holding the remote/keyboard.

However, because recordings are more important than LiveTV, they're
tuned the most reliable way.  However, the reliable way is not
necessarily reliable if your broadcaster/rebroadcaster changes the way
they're sending channels such that you need to rescan.

You can always change the way you're using Quick Tune.  I have mine set
to never use it.

However, the /real/ question is, "Why would anyone want LiveTV?"  (Which
probably explains why I have mine set to never use Quick Tune.)

Mike