[mythtv-users] Tuning freesat

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:33:00 UTC 2009

2009/10/19 Ben Lancaster <mail at benlancaster.co.uk>:
> Hi all,
>
> Having done some googling around, seems like this is a fairly oft-discussed
> topic!
>
> So, I just had a dish installed today, and have plugged in an HVR-4000 card
> and updated the firmware (to work around the MythBuntu 9.04 corrupt firmware
> issue). The card is /dev/dvb/adapter7, and the DVB-S tuner is adapter0.
>
> I'm trying to scan using the 'scan' tool from dvb-apps to generate a
> channels.conf, however, it can't seem to pick anything up? (See output at
> the end of this message).
>
> Do I need to set any command-line LNB options? I've never used DVB-S before,
> so I'm a little bit in the dark.

MythTV 0.22 RC1 should handle DVB-S scanning without requiring the use
of a channels.conf import.

That said, I've used the following scan command (updated for your
setup) to generate a channels.conf on Fedora 11:

$ scan -x 0 -a 7 -n -l UNIVERSAL /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-28.2E

If this doesn't help, check your syslog for any errors. I'd also give
Kaffeine a whirl as that has always performed flawlessly for me for
DVB-T and DVB-S scanning of new cards.

Cheers,
Nick

--