[mythtv-users] Deciding whether to go with storage groups for videos or not with .22

Joel Means means.joel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:17:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just set up .22 last night and I am in the process of deciding how I
>> want to handle my videos. I read
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide and I still
>> had a couple of things that are unclear to me about storage groups for
>> videos in .22. First of all I have all of my video on one disk right
>> now and it is in a combined FE/BE. So I don't have much need for any
>> of the advantages listed in the guide. I do have some of my videos in
>> ISO format so it seems that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages
>> for me. However, I am not sure how to properly continue without using
>> storage groups.
>>
>> First of all when it refers to using storage groups for videos, does
>> it just mean the main storage group for the videos? Or does it many
>> all of the the storage groups including those for metadata/artwork? Is
>> it possible to leave my videos out of storage groups and have all of
>> the other artwork in storage groups?
>
> No.  If you want your iamgery in storage groups, so too must your video be.
>
> Are the storage groups necessary
>> for all of the new metadata/artwork features added in .22?
>>

> No, there are local setting for all artwork directories in the
> traditional spot (Utilties/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video
> Settings->General)
>
>> Assuming I am going to go without storage groups, what is the right
>> way to set it up? Do I just not define any of the video/artwork
>> storage groups, and then define the directories under
>> FE->Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video Settings->General?
>
> Yes.
>

>> On the other hand if I have storage groups defined will they override
>> all those directories in that settings menu?
>
> If you have both, AND they point at the same directory, the Storage
> Group will be preferred.  If you have both and they point at different
> directories, both will be scanned.
>

>> Any other general advice on deciding to go with video storage groups
>> now vs waiting for .23 would be appreciated as well.
>
> Personally, one of the great advantages of Storage Groups is the "zero
> configuration frontend."  I can add a frontend and have video,
> recordings, and all metadata/artwork working without going through any
> settings/mounting/etc.  For my money, remux your ISOs into MKV and
> profit.  ;)
>
> Robert

This is related to an issue I am having.  I decided to go with storage
groups, so I created a directory structure which looks like this:
/var/media/mythtv/mythvideo/banners
                                          /coverart
                                          /fanart
                                          /screenshots
                                          /trailers
                                          /videos

In the videos folder, I placed symlinks to all of my video files from
other locations (I realize this defeats the purpose of storage groups,
but just go with me for now).  In the videos settings in the frontend,
I set my videos folder to be /var/media/mythtv/mythvideo/videos.  When
I then go into the video manager, I get a "No files found" error.  Any
thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Joel