[mythtv-users] Deciding whether to go with storage groups for videos or not with .22

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Oct 20 16:32:11 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> says:
> > Are the storage groups necessary for all of the new
> > metadata/artwork features added in .22?
>
> No, there are local setting for all artwork directories in the
> traditional spot (Utilties/Setup->Setup->Media Settings->Video
> Settings->General)

While I have its author on the line, I have a question about a portion
of <URL:http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide>:

    3. On the frontends, go to Utilities/Setup->Setup->Media
    Settings->Video Settings->General. Change "Directories that hold
    videos" to point at a directory that is *not the same* as the one
    the Storage Group points at. *IMPORTANT!* If the local video
    setting and the Storage Group setting point at the same path,
    MythVideo will prefer the Storage Group path.

Why is it *important* (based on the markup used on the words) for the
two settings to not be the same, and doing so is important, why does
the guide then go on in the next sentence to talk about how it works
if the settings are not set the same way?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array