[mythtv-users] Power efficient backend-only server

Vitani vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com
Tue Oct 20 20:47:24 UTC 2009

Good afternoon Greg,

Thank-you for your reply, I just have a few questions.

- If I'm running Nova-Ts, why would I not be running commercial skipping? I
am running it on all my recordings, and it *appears *to work (I don't
actually use a MythTV frontend, so I have never actually tried skipping the
adverts), is there something I don't know about the Nova Ts?

- Assuming I turn commercial detection off, would you agree that anything
over 800MHz (the slowest Atom) would be fine for recording & file sharing?

- Do you know if USB tuners draw less power than PCI ones?

- Does recording more than one channel at once make much of a difference? At
the moment I have the two tuners (on a single PCI card) set to record up to
3 channels each at the same time (to cover the over lap at the start/end of
two recordings on the same channel). Theoretically (although it's never
happened in practice) at the moment my set up could record six TV channels
at once.

Many thanks for your very detailed help with this! It's just what I was
looking for.