[mythtv-users] Deciding whether to go with storage groups for videos or not with .22

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:32:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM, jmk <jmk at foofus.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 14:03 -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> I'm in the same situation.  I tried HandBrakeCLI with following options:
>
> I'll give your command-line a shot. I was hoping to find some option
> that didn't involve transcoding... I don't really care about saving disk
> space that much, just looking to avoid long transcoding waits, maintain
> the best possible quality and keep other items such as subtitles.
>
> A while back I had played with simply cat'ng the VOBs together. IIRC,
> these played fine in mplayer. Unfortunately, Myth seemed to have issues
> determining the correct length of the film and skipping within it.
>
> I see some references to lossless conversion of DVD ISOs to MKV via
> mkvmerge. I may give this a look also.

Please report back if you find something reasonable.  HandBrakeCLI
certainly has long transcoding waits, and the documentation says that
if you select a subtitle, it actually burns it into the video so you
can't turn it on and off.  I would bet that it also loses any closed
captions.  Ripping an ISO into an MKV container should be ideal for
this.

Jim