[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:17:17 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/10/21 David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org>:
> It also has a VGA input which I used in the past and HDMI (currently
> using). The VGA table has several mode lines (I will just list the
> 1024x768 upwards):
>
> 1024x768 @60Hz, 1024x768 at 70Hz, 1024x768 at 75Hz, 1024x768 at 85Hz
> 1280x1024 @60Hz, 1366x768 @60Hz.
>
> HDMI table supports 720/60p/50p, 1080/60i/50i/60p/50p/24p
>
> Back in the specifications table again it says:
>
> PC Signals = VGA, SVGA, XGA or SXGA(compressed)
>
> So I take it my native resolution is 1024x768? if this is so would I be

looks like it.

> best using the VGA input with a 1024x768 modeline rather than the HDMI
> input?

It's a matter of what you care the most for...

Personally, I am more sensitive to judder, than the resolution,
especially at the distance I sit from the TV.
If your TV only accepts 1024x768 @ 60Hz, watching BD rip , few channel
torrent show often encoded at 23.976fps is going to create judder with
a monitor at 60Hz.

So for me, I think it is more important to get the refresh rates right
than the resolution.

For me the choice was easy, my 46" TV is both a 1920x1080 panel, and
it supports all known refresh rates.

With your panel you have to make compromise in either the resolution
or the refresh rate.

If you only watch FTA TV, then 1024x768 @ 60 or 50Hz is going to be
the best solution. letting myth do the upscaling/downscaling and the
deinterlacing.

When trying to watch 1920x1080/24p media, set your TV to that mode...

Currently, you can't configure mythtv to change to a particular
resolution based on the refresh rate ; the profiles are all based on
the resolution only.
Otherwise thing you could do is if trying to watch content at 24/23Hz
, then automatically swtich to 1920x1080 mode at that refresh rate as
your tV supports it.