[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 08:02:45 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:

>>Josh White wrote:
>>
>>>Why would you by a TV for use as a monitor?  You can get a 26"
>>>monitor for much less than a 26" TV (at least at the Best Buy I
>>>was in last weekend in central NY), and aviod the trouble with the
>>>"HD stuff" in general.
>>
>>But they have ridiculously high resolutions - 40% more than on a
>>26" TV. The reason I'm specifically looking at TVs and not monitors
>>is so that I can get a large display & relatively low resolution
>>without all the artifacts that result from running an LCD panel at
>>other than it's native resolution.
>
>In my experience, the rescaling on most monitors works pretty well
>if you can use a horizontal resolution that divides evenly into the
>panel resolution.  1024x768 looks pretty decent on my 2048x1024
>monitor, but 800x600 has really obvious scaling artifacts.

But then you need to get a monitor that's even higher res. Taking
Josh's suggestion I looked on Best Buy's website. The monitors 24"
and up are all 1920x1080 - so you'd only get 960x540 if you use
exactly 2:1 ratio between image and display pixels ! Well there is
the Apple 30" at 2560x1600 (or 1280x800 at 2:1) - but that's not
"much less than a 26" TV", or even "much less than" a 32" TV.

--
Simon Hobson