[mythtv-users] New 50" Plasma, setting Myth for it?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 18:26:43 UTC 2009

I wrote:

>>Buy a TV/monitor which has a VGA input - then you can treat it as a
>>monitor. No overscan, just fake up a mode line which matches the
>>exact resolution of the hardware, and you're good to go. Although -
>>occasionally the EDID sent out by the TV lies, so be prepared to
>>dump it and use your own.
>
>Well I'll be giving it a go, but the only TV I've had available so
>far seems very happy to just flash up a message about "unsupported
>mode" and turn off. My new one arrived today, so I'll be having a
>fiddle tomorrow evening.

Woo hoo - I'm as excited as an excited thing !

Bought a Samsung LE26B350 on the basis that it says 1366x768 and
doesn't mention any other resolutions - so I could complain if it
won't do that with a PC. Just imagine my surprise on flicking through
the manual to find that not only does it do 1360x768, but it has a
1:1 mode, and even mentions connecting a computer via DVI (though
HDMI port no 1). Plugged in my laptop via DVI and it came up straight
away with 1360x768 and no overscan.

So given the poor experience previously, and a total lack of interest
in these features by the manufacturers, it was a pleasant surprise
:-) I just can't understand why, having put the design effort into
supporting these features, they can't put a few minutes work into
mentioning them in the specs - is it that they're just too busy
selling up the "super double plus maxi mega picture enhancement" to
bother with mundane stuff like what it actually does ?

So I'll try it out on mother later, and if she's happy then the
borrowed one can go back and I'll buy another of these.

--
Simon Hobson