[mythtv-users] Schedule Time Bump for Sports Overtime

Russ Van Winkle russ.vanwinkle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:24:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not going to work in a foolproof manner in any event. eg
>
> 7.00 to 8.00pm sports game
> 8.00 to 8.30pm programme A
> 8.30 to 9.00pm programme B (set to record)
> (other programming)
> 11.00 to 11.30 am programme C (set to record)
>
> Say sports goes over time until 8.30pm. How does Myth know whether
> Programme A has simply been dumped from the schedule, or in the
> alternative, everything is postponed half an hour.

Just to make this more difficult, how does Myth know that Program(me)
A was joined in progress to keep the rest of the schedule on track, or
that the network dropped some promos, etc., from Program A, and
possibly Program B, to get back on time?  I've seen both these
scenarios from Fox (US) as a master control operator.  To add to the
fun, the network didn't always communicate these changes to affiliates
(though they generally tried).

> Assume then that everything is bumped half an hour. Is this still the
> case at 11.00 the next morning? At what point do we stop assuming the
> "bump" and accept that something has been dumped from the schedule?

Generally once you're out of network programming, and into
local/syndication programming, there is either dropped programming
and/or JIP (join in progress) fairly quickly, but it would be VERY
difficult for Myth to anticipate exactly what any given local station
might do - especially as these tend to get handled on-the-fly by the
master control op on a case-by-case basis.  Not to mention Myth not
necessarily being able to make a distinction between network and local
programming on any given station.

At least in smaller markets which don't run a 24-hour schedule, you
can be certain that anything after the next morning's sign-on is on
time.

The above applies, of course, only to local network affiliates.
National (cable/satellite) channels would have their own scenarios.
Most seem to just JIP the next show and move on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE this functionality - I missed the end of
House Monday night due to a sports overrun.  But from here it looks
like Myth would need to pass the Turing test first.  (And even then
would probably guess wrong sometimes - just like a human would.)

--
Russ D. Van Winkle