[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:36:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>wrote:

> > This is all well and good and I understand and respect your motivations.
> > There is every possibility that "the free Arclight" could be better than
> > yours, though, so don't pretend like you are doing this to stimulate
> theme
> > development.
> >

> I'm doing it because (aside from dealing with people who want to tell
> me how I should write/license my own work) it's *fun*.  If neat new
> themes get people interested in theming, that would be very
> gratifying.  I spent countless hours writing all the MythUI Theming
> documentation *by myself*, written and GPL'd a theme, and done tons of
> work on the core Myth themes, MythVideo, and other Myth code for .22,
> so I think I've done more than my fair share to stimulate theme
> development.  So forgive me if I don't feel bad about wanting to keep
> one piece of work as I intended it.
>
> Robert

To be fair, he didn't claim that _you_ weren't trying to stimulate theme
development.  He claimed that your _new_ theme didn't.

I think it's fantastic that you've put so much effort into Mythv and wish I
had the time to do half so much.

However; I, for one, won't use your theme because of the non-free font, not
because of the license you chose for the theme itself.  I'm no cheapskate,
but the longer I use Linux, the more of a 'FOSS Snob' I become. But even
before then, I refused to pay for fonts.  And since you disallow (by license
that I assume I could ignore) changing the font, I won't use your theme.  (I
won't break your license terms even if I'm able to but no one else would
know... I would know.)

It seems that many people like your theme, and I hope it does well for you.
But it does seem a bit odd to me to care so much about the font looking
"just so".  Then again, I'm no great appreciater of art. =)