[mythtv-users] Master backend without capture card?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Oct 22 14:15:20 UTC 2009

* On Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 09:39:08AM +0200, Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2009/10/22 Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org>:
> > plan is to also enable remote Storage Groups for MythMusic as well, so
> > you'll be able to play media from any box running mythbackend in the house.

> you mean "any box running >>mythfrontend<< in the house"?
> in the meantime it can still be done the old way by mounting nfs/samba
> on every frontend.

No, I mean mythbackend.  I don't know if we'll ever put file or stream
serving capability in the frontend whether it's http:// or myth:// protocol.
I know it can be done the old way, but using Myth's RemoteFile and remote
Storage Groups support, frontends will be even more plug-n-play because they
won't have to mount any media, they can stream it from any backend.  We
even have the ability to browse a remote filesystem using the
MythUIFileBrowser, I don't think it would be that hard to hookup MythGallery
to support remote Storage Groups as well.  One of the things on my long
TODO list is to finish writing a file access wrapper class that would work
for both local files and myth:// URIs.  We already have this ability in
certain classes in libmyth*, but right now we've got a bunch of logic
encoded in places to determine whether a file is remote or local and use the
appropriate methods to access it.  This wrapper would clear all that up,
making it even less necessary to have nfs/cifs mounts everywhere.

--
Chris