[mythtv-users] MythTV, 1080P, NVidia, DVI to HDMI

David Krainess davidkrainess at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 17:04:56 UTC 2009

HI all,

Just a quick question, I just bought a 1080P Panasonic S1 panel.  It does not have VGA (I.E. PC Input) in.  My assumption is I can hook up a DVI to HDMI cable and everything should work, and that VGA is reaching end of life (so I didn't want to spend an extra $300 on the G10).  I am about to invest in a computer upgrade.

My specs I plan to move from my old setup to a new computer.
Myth .21
PVR 150 (SD Cable from Coax In)
PVR 250 (SD Cable from Coax In)
ATI HDTV Wonder (QAM Cable for Coax In)
Hauppage HD PVR (Uses Cable STB Component Out)

I have read on this list that some people have overscan issues and switch to VGA.

1.  Should I return the S1 and get a panel with a VGA input because I will have less issues?

2.  If not 1., should I buy an NVidia card with HDMI out or is DVI equivalent in a MythTv system, is xorg.conf hard to work with HDMI?

3.  Any recommendation on an NVidia card model (I.E. 8500GT) for an eventual upgrade to .22 with 1080P?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I didn't want to buy a bunch of hardware and cables only to have it not work very well.

Regards

Dave