[mythtv-users] Lossless remux ISO to MKV for .22 video storage groups

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 17:31:03 UTC 2009

> For those of us who are not familiar with 0.22 storage groups, could
> someone briefly explain the benefits of taking an ISO and turning it
> into an MKV file? If I understand correctly, you're not reencoding
> anyting, just taking the MPEG2 video/AC3 audio/subtitles and putting
> them into a MKV container file.

Read this: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide.
The problem with ISO files and storage groups is because the libraries
that are used to read DVDs require block level access. With storage
groups all the files are streamed and don't allow this type of access.
So if you want to use storage groups you need to get your ISO files
into a format that will work allow for streaming. MKV seems like the
current best choice for a container, so that is why I went with it.