[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:21:46 UTC 2009

> No modifications really means no modification + redistribution.
> Fortunately, you can do whatever you want with your own copy. It's
> called fair use. My response to anyone who tries to tell me I can't
> make modifications of things for my own personal use: try and stop me.

If the license actually allows for non-redistributed modifications, then
that's great. But,
"1) The theme is going to be released under a
fairly restrictive license that disallows copying or derivative works,
so I'm not anticipating this ever being distributed with Myth.  2) I'm
using proprietary fonts that I cannot/will not distribute.  I will
provide links for where you can purchase the fonts (about $15) but
will leave it up to the user to procure them.  The theme will not work
properly without them."

To me, that said 'This theme is non-modifiable under the terms that it's
released."

Honestly, I haven't read the actual license.  But as I said in an earlier
post, if the license forbids modifications, I abide by the license. I don't
think Fair Use applies to modifying software you got from someone else...
Kinda like you can't (legally) hack a gaming console. Sure it's yours, but
it's not "yours".