[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:47:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM, David Asher <asherml at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> I continue to play with free fonts and continue to toy with the idea
>> of leaving a commented out definition for a free font if I find one
>> that feels right.  It would take something pretty compelling to make
>> me adopt another font entirely, but we'll see what I come up with.
>
> The question I haven't seen asked yet, and am admittedly quite curious
> about: what makes a quality font?
>
> I'd be interested to know what characteristics of the font you've chosen
> make it so desirable.
>
> David.

Well, to establish this right off the bat:  Adrian Frutiger is one of
the typographical geniuses of the last hundred years.  Few if any
typographers have had as much impact in the 20th century.  Frutiger
(the font) itself is a masterpiece in a number of ways.  The big ones
are extreme readability, and absolutely masterful kerning (the "fit"
of letters around each other in context).  The ascenders (extensions
upwards) and descenders (extensions downwards) like on the letters "g"
and "y" are quite clear and unique from one another, improving the
legibility.  More generally, the rendering of professional fonts
themselves is generally better because of (by and large) closer
attention to detail.  The sum total of all of this is that it all just
"feels" better when reading/using it.

Robert