[mythtv-users] A new theme on the way...

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Oct 22 20:57:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 13:29 -0700, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Christopher Meredith
> <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>
> wrote:
> >> I'm with Robert on this one.
> >>
> >> He makes a theme that everybody agrees to call beyond great.
> >>
> >> Fine.
> >>
> >> The theme need a specific font that has a cost to bring the
> greatness.
> >>
> >> Fine too.
> >>
> >> The license chosen by Robert forbids you to distribute derivative
> work,
> >> possibly "make" too, but I am too lazy to dig through a long
> thread.
> >>
> >> Also very fine.
> >>
> >> Three choices there.
> >>
> >>     1. You use the theme after having paid for the font. You enjoy
> >>        great theme. You're legal. You respect the author.
> >>     2. You use the theme after tweaking it to use a sub-par font
> and
> >>        keep it to yourself. You enjoy a sub-par theme, your loss.
> >>        You're legal. You do not respect the author.
> >
> > This does not follow at all. How is it possible that someone can say
> > "If you do X, then you disrespect me" and it then becomes true? And
> > who defines what is sub-par? Who knows, I might make it better? And
> if
> > you disagree with me, you disrespect me and should feel guilty.
>
> I'm fairly certain he meant you are not respecting the wishes of the
> author, not an implied personal judgment.

Again, pardon my French.

In any case, the choice between 3 options remains.

The author is making his product/art/whatever as he likes. Period.

You want to use it or not is your choice.

Distribution of a derivative is not.

And yes, fonts do make a vast difference to the final product when this
product is a UI. Microsoft has once again made us accept sup-par quality
in that aspect. Between their fonts and the software that produces
typographic nightmares... Ever seen proper typography as generated in
LaTex?[1] Truetype has not helped either. Ah the gold old days of
Postscript on our screens...

Nico

[1] http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%
2Fwww.valerie-et-guillaume.com%2F2007%2F03%2F18%
2Fopenoffice-et-ms-word-dos-a-dos&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8