[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.04, Boot On LAN, DHCP c\o pfSense

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 23 22:54:25 UTC 2009

Finally got this booting

Server MCC:
Diskless Server:
Select CPU architecture of your clients: i386
Apply  (Wait hours!)
Choose image
i386
Commit changes (use the underlying defaults)

pfSense:
DHCP Server serving IP's to named MAC addresses
Enable Network booting
Server address: {Whatever}
Enter the IP address from the network boot server:   /ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0

Frontend(s)
Enable PXE boot on LAN function (details depend on system - either using motherboard BIOS if there or BootonLAN capable NIC)
Seem to boot into a generic image.

At the moment I have two diskless front ends and both will boot at same time.  Kewl.

Presumably they each have their own Desktop, file set, config etc(?)

Now need to presumably configure each with vdpau etc.  I guess I have to add in JYA's repo into synaptic with his keys etc into each
frontend.

Nice to get rid of the greatest FE noise, the HDD's.  Boot speed is also better than HDD, which was a pleasant surprise!  Some
smarts don't seem to be there, for example typing sensors usually gives a prompt telling what to install, however not so in the
images.