[mythtv-users] Can an Atom N270 1.6GHz decode SD video with yadif and scaling?

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 09:49:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> Ken Bass wrote:
> > I went with the single core version to lower the power usage/heat
> > especially since it will be a frontend only.
>
> The power consumption of the Atom chip is dwarfed by that of the
> chipset, and at times can even use less power than the memory sticks.
> You're not gaining much by saving those extra few watts.
>
> > I've never done the split frontend/backend thing before, so I'm not
> > sure what to expect. Hopefully there will be no issues streaming HD
> > files over the network. Since I purchased a HD-PVR to record the HD
> > stuff and x264 files are smaller then MPEG2, I would expect less of an
> > issue.
>
> ATSC is limited to 19mbps, and the largest DVB recordings are in the mid
> 20s.  These will be fairly trivial for any 10/100 network, much less
> gigabit.  However streaming over any form of wireless will not be
> particularly reliable.

We use Acer Revo's as FE's connected over 802.11g to an MBE and we have
found in our experience that streaming live TV or recordings of SD & HD (BBC
HD off the UK Freesat service) is pretty reliable. Where we get drop off's
or dead spots in coverage we just add another Wifi AP to extend the
coverage.

Andrew

--
Head of Software & Technology