[mythtv-users] Hardware death - CPU vs motherboard?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 12:51:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

Not knowing you computer experience I assume the new RAM stick was
compatible with your MB; even ones that fit may not actually be compatible.

I have just had a quick look on ebay and replacement processors are only
£20; shame it would take a week for it to arrive.

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?MA2ShowItems&_ipg=50&_sadis=200&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_in_kw=1&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_samihi=&_samilow=&_fpos=Postcode&_oexkw=&_udhi=&_udlo=&_rdc=1&_sop=12&_ex_kw=&_nkw=Athlon+X2+4000%2B&_dmd=1&_okw=Athlon+X2+4000%2B&LH_Complete=1&guest=1

I would suggest removing and re-installing all components to re-seat the
connections; memory is particularly susceptible to this, but in tower cases
with large fans I have seen CPUs and PCI cards that need re-seating.

If that doesnt fix it I would remove all the components that you can which
are not strictly required for boot (tuners, additional memory over the
minimum, HDs - leaving just a CDRom for Live CD booting) - it could be
another component starting up and stealing all the power or another problem
or it could be a power supply problem - its a little unusual for the failure
to affect POST; but its worth a try.

After that I am at a loss I am afraid of how identify the issue without
parts for swapping out.

Thanks And Regards,

Richard Morton

www.pidgin.im - MSN & Yahoo Messenger and many great features but without