[mythtv-users] Playback quality on OSX?

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Sun Oct 25 18:47:25 UTC 2009

I dual-boot my OSX frontend between Mac OS and Linux on a 2GHz Mini
with Nvidia GPU.  I have been primarily running Linux lately, but
dual-booted back into Mac OS after an upgrade corrupted my Linux
partition.
After running MythFrontend (0.21-fixes) on Mac OS X for an hour, I was
reminded why I have stuck with Linux.  The quality on OSX was quite
poor.  Is it just me, or are other Mac users getting similar behavior?

The problems I got:

- MythFrontend.app hangs with the spinning ball, requiring a force
quit to kill it.   This happens fairly often when exiting a recording.
 Today it happened during playback.

- Video corruption - a lot more breakups and corruption than when
running under Linux.

- Dropped Frames - when running with debug messages on, I can see all
the 'dropped frame' messages.  The actual video looks very choppy.   I
get messages like the following, coming so quickly they just scroll
off the screen.  I have tried all the combinations of the "use video
as timebase" and "extra audio buffering" settings, but none help.

    2009-10-25 11:35:02.062 NVP: Video is 3.13906 frames behind audio
(too slow), dropping frame to catch up.