[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.04, Boot On LAN, DHCP c\o pfSense

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Sun Oct 25 20:34:01 UTC 2009

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Tortise wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Perkins"
>> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> To: "Discussion about mythtv"
>> <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:24 AM
>> Subject: Re:
>>  [mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.04, Boot On LAN, DHCP c\o pfSense
>>

>> Tortise wrote:
>>> Finally got this booting
>>>
>>> Server MCC: Diskless Server: Select CPU architecture of your
>>> clients: i386
>>>  Apply  (Wait hours!) Choose image i386 Commit changes (use the
>>> underlying defaults)
>>>
>>> pfSense: DHCP Server serving IP's to named MAC addresses Enable
>>> Network booting Server address: {Whatever} Enter the {ERROR =IP
>>> address from the network boot server} boot image reference:
>>> /ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0
>>>
>>> Frontend(s) Enable PXE boot on LAN function (details depend on
>>> system - either using motherboard BIOS if there or BootonLAN capable
>>> NIC) Seem to boot into a generic image.
>>>
>>> At the moment I have two diskless front ends and both will boot at
>>> same time.  Kewl.
>>>
>>> Presumably they each have their own Desktop, file set, config etc(?)
>>>
>>> Now need to presumably configure each with vdpau etc.  I guess I
>>> have to add in JYA's repo into synaptic with his keys etc into each
>>> frontend.
>>>
>>> Nice to get rid of the greatest FE noise, the HDD's.  Boot speed is
>>> also better than HDD, which was a pleasant surprise!  Some smarts
>>> don't seem to be there, for example typing sensors usually gives a
>>> prompt telling what to
>>>  install, however not so in the images.
>>>

>>> You probably ought not to be booting LTSP clients if you want them
>>> to run mythfrontend. Since all LTSP processes effectively run on the
>>> server, you would
>> be faced with running several mythfrontends on the same host, which
>> could get
>>  interesting. ============== I am not sure this is correct?  Seems to
>> me the image is downloaded and run with all the processes being run
>> on the FE?  ltsp
>>  just happens to be the directory that the diskless FE is under, not
>> sure
>> that makes it ltsp?
>>

>>> Not to mention, LTSP uses the remote X functionality to display the
>>> desktops on the thin clients, and myth does too much for that to
>>> work properly.
>> I know, I've played around with that in the past.
>> =============================== Again I am not sure this is a true
>> thin client configuration, I note there are two distinct image file
>> sets under /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/ If it were a true
>> thin client situation, wouldn't all the vdpau stuff be run on the
>> server, and the changing images sent over the LAN - and the LAN
>> wouldn't have the capacity to
>>  send 1080i yet this plays fine on the FE, suggesting to me most of
>> the work
>>  continues to happen on the FE.

> [...]
The last time I looked at the Mythbuntu diskless setup it looked like it
used LTSP for setup but set up fat clients not thin ones so all client
processing is on the client. It uses nfs file system overlays to allow
each client to have different configurations overlayed on the common
filesystem image. I found Mythbuntu diskless setup realtively easy
especially since MCC does all the hard work. Why switch if it works?

John