[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.04, Boot On LAN, DHCP c\o pfSense

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Oct 26 11:34:21 UTC 2009

Tortise wrote:
> From: "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
>
> One of my thin clients is an ancient K6-2/366 laptop with 32M, works fine.
>
> =============================== Thats pretty cool of course, is this
> displaying SD or HD (720p and/or 1080i)?

It's a *thin client*, not a mythtv frontend. It runs a full gnome desktop (on
the server). Snappy, too.

> (iv) If you're using pfSense for dhcp, and running tftpboot (or whatever) on
> another host, your configuration files are *not* on the same system, you have
> to co-ordinate between the two (or more), and this can be where errors creep
> in.
>
> ================================
>
> pfSense is working fine for one boot server address.  Two booting servers
> would lose simplicity as the GUI does not provide for it. Direct editing the
> XML (and thus the relevant files in the master XML config) may be possible,
> the dhcp would probably need customisation in that order of complexity.  I
> reported it working as there seemed few posts on this and I was also
> interested in other people experiences and to leave a bit of a documentary
> trail as the documentation on diskless seems scant, and as this thread has
> shown there is not a consistent understanding how it actually works.

XML? DHCP uses /etc/dhcpd.conf. I don't know why you are talking about XML.

What I was talking about was the fact that you have got
//<firewall>/etc/dhcpd.conf referencing files on //<server>. I never mentioned
two booting servers. Also the limited flexibility of the pfSense dhcp
parameters. In there, I can only state *one* filename used for network booting.
I need at least two, one for thin clients, one for myth front ends. If I were to
boot 64-bit clients, I might need up to four filenames.

> One other thing less experienced installers (such as myself) might note is
> that when running up a new server that is intended to be diskless it would be
> prudent to enlarge /dev/sda1/ to allow for the extra file systems space that
> will live there.

Standard LTSP configuration puts all the client files in /opt on the server,
which of course can be assigned to it's own partition. That's where I've also
chosen to put all my minimyth files.

--

Mike Perkins