[mythtv-users] XBMC questions

sp analogue at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 14:28:30 UTC 2009

________________________________
From: Paul Gillingham <paulgillingham at gmail.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Fri, October 16, 2009 3:32:36 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] XBMC questions

2009/10/16 Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au>

>On 16/10/09 2:08 PM, "Phill Edwards" <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Funny the things you pick up from reading these posts. I'm not even a
>>> Ubuntu guy (I'm on CentOS and use Axel's excellent RPM repos) but I
>> read a post called "Import Announcement for people using my Ubuntu
>> repository" post because it mentioned 0.22 - and hey presto I learn
>>> that quite a few folks seem to be using XBMC as a frontend. I couldn't
>> get this up and running on my machine so haven't had a chance to try
>> it out. One of the posts said "We have all our movies, TV shows and
>>> music on XBMC and use MythFrontend for TV only. I will look into XBMC
>> universal so hopefully I can use XBMC for everything including
>> TV/recording watching and relegate Myth to backend services only".
>>>
>> Does that mean that quite of a few of you are using the XBMC frontend
>> for almost everything?
>> What's your feedback?
>> And does it all work with a remote control?
>> And does anyone have it working on CentOS 5.x?
>
>Phill
>
>That was me :) I have 2 boxes - a headless Myth backend and a combined XBMC
>& Myth frontend. I am currently on Myth 0.21-fixes. We decided to use XBMC
>because of the great UI, especially in Movies/TV Shows and Music. Movies &
>>TV shows will download season info, fanart, actor info etc while music will
>download album info. I use an MS mouse which works out of the box in XBMC,
>no configuration needed if installing from .debs. You can install from
>>source as well but I think the time I did that the remote still worked out
>of the box. XMB will update it's Movie/Music library everytime your start
>the app to bring things up to date. At this stage I haven't found anything
>>it won't play, it will even play videos inside zip files by unzipping them
>first! I found that out when I played Buffy one day forgetting that it was
>zipped up :)
>
>There is the ability to play Myth recordings etc out of the box using their
>>myth:// protocol but I have never been able to get that to work to my
>satisfaction. That's why I have a Myth frontend onboard to watch my
>recordings. I flick between the two by pressing the Live TV button on my
>>remote. I do not use Live TV.
>
>I am very happy with XBMC but would rather have one package do everything.
>As Myth is my TV system I would prefer it to be that but if something comes
>along that allows me to play Myth successfully and as Myth does in XBMC, I
>>will be one of the first to jump at it....
>
>Cheers
>Bruce

There's also the external MythBox script for XBMC (http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/) but that's still not really a finished product. As I said a few days ago I'm holding out for the work going on to make XBMC a universal frontend: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28918&goto=newpost

I too use XBMC for everything except recordings (and when I want to keep a recording long term, I cut out the adverts and move the file to XBMC). Again, like others I would prefer a solution with only one GUI but for me the sticking point is music. So long as MythMusic retains it's current interface, Myth will not be that GUI. It seems to me that MythMusic is "vi" where I want 'gedit'.

I just released a new MythBox for XBMC beta a few days ago. Check the url for screenshots. Getting closer :-)