[mythtv-users] Does video card brand matter? VDPAU

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:30:36 UTC 2009

> I went out today a bought what I thought was a Gigabyte 9500GT 1Gb  card but
> it turned out to be a 9400GT instead (the box said 9500GT!). The supplier
> does not have any more Gigabyte cards but has ECS and Inno3d versions of the
> same card so I was wondering if the brand makes any difference. My only real
> “requirement” is an HDMI output and I would be satisfied with either 512mb
> or 1GB. I have read that some brands, like Gainward have issues with VDPAU
> so want to make sure that what I get is compatible with everything else.

In general the answer is no, the specific card manufacturer should not
matter. VDPAU is provided by the nvidia GPU and the driver. Having
said that there are certainly ways for a manufacturers to screw things
up (not follow spec) or just make a crappy card that will fail. So
brand matters in terms up support and quality, but generally is not an
issue in terms of VDPAU support.