[mythtv-users] Transcoded mpeg still has (all?) commercials

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 21:18:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Jeff Jensen <jjensen at apache.org> wrote:
> I'm wondering if I am missing a config item to have commercials removed with
> transcode.  I've seen a few wiki pages on it, the manual, and archive
> emails, and I haven't found (or understood!) what's needed.
>
> I have auto commflagging on, and I can see there are sections flagged via
> the frontend editor.
>
> I also have auto transcode on and it successfully runs.
>
> Some transcode results showed size reduction like "6.4G -> 6.3G", which
> makes me think commercials were removed (perhaps other things can get
> "cleaned up"/removed which would cause a slight reduction in size?).
>
> Is there an item needed to tell transcode to use the flagged sections?
>

> I'm using .21 fixes:
> MythTV Version   : 22186M
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Network Protocol : 40
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1

Myth removes sections with cutlists, not commflagging.  To create a
cutlist, start playing the video, press "E" to enter edit mode, press
"Z" to load the commercial flagging as the cutlist, then "E" to exit
edit mode.  A transcode after this will remove the commercials.

You *can* script the loading of the commercials as the cutlist and the
subsequent transcode, but it means writing your own script to do so
using mythcommflag --gencutlist and running mythtranscode thereafter.
It's also generally a really bad idea as nobody likes getting beaten
up when your SO's shows lose a whole segment because commflagging got
it wrong.

Robert