[mythtv-users] Does video card brand matter? VDPAU

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 29 22:01:49 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 15:34:15 Robert McNamara wrote:
>>> Yeah... don't bother keeping the box if you buy a Quadro ;-)
>>>
>>> aaron
>> In fairness to nVidia, they provide the chipset, the manufacturer
>> (ASUS, Chaintech, etc) are responsible for the scantily clad
>> marketing.  Check out the nVidia web site, it's quite professional.
>
> Good point, but a lot of the graphics include copyrighted nVidia stuff, so
> they are at least acceding to that sort of campaign.
>
> ATI does the same thing, probably because they are targetting the same
> demographic.
>
> I just feel insulted when a vendor thinks that such imagery will convince me
> to purchase something.
>
> But, as I said, it must work or they wouldn't continue to do it.

I really think that it is more that there is no evidence that it does
NOT work, and so they continue to do it.

Because seriously, when adolescent males are buying gaming hardware,
they are MUCH more likely to have pored over the reviews and know
EXACTLY what the different specs are for the boards they are looking at.
At that point, it is probably a matter of ...well that one is 10% slower
for $125 less....Hmmm??

Now it IS possible that aforesaid a.m. will keep the box, proudly
displayed on a bookshelf *because* it has the aforesaid scantily
clad...etc. on the front.

Geoff