[mythtv-users] 0.22 The .iso / Storage groups problem

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 01:34:20 UTC 2009

> I've seen the posts about makemkv, but obviously this doesn't fit my problem
> very well as I can't preserve menus. It seems I'm left with little choice
> but to not-implement storage groups for my videos directory.

MakeMKV doesn't just do the whole ISO to a single MKV file. It creates
an MKV for each title. I believe most TV show DVDs have a title for
each episode. So you should be able to you MakeMKV to create
individual files for each episode by just selecting those titles, and
maybe unselecting the "play all" title.

> The question is which storage groups NEED to be in place for live tv to
> function correctly, and which should be removed, and just specified on the
> individual frontends? I'm quite happy continuing to use nfs for my other
> frontends to playback movies.

The Default and LiveTV storage groups are used for recordings and are
independent of the video storage group. So you can and should set
those up like normal and it will have no impact on mythvideo and ISO
files. LiveTV will use the Default storage group if you don't have a
LiveTV group set up. That is the way I have it. For mythvideo the
relevent storage groups are: Videos, Fanart, Banners, Screenshots, and
Coverart. See this:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_.22_Transition_Guide for info
about how to use or not use storage groups for video. Basically if you
want to use them for mythvideo you set it all up in the backend with
mythtv-setup. If you don't want to use storage groups you leave them
blank in mythtv-setup and you set it up on your frontends in the media
settings and make the appropriate network shares.