[mythtv-users] direct usb-usb cable to replace usb-uirt

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Oct 30 14:12:47 UTC 2009

At 11:04 AM +0100 10/30/09, Marius Schrecker wrote:
>My motorola stb will accept signals from an external usb-uirt, but
>it would be great if I cold bypass this, and just send the signals
>directly over usb (maybe using an A-A usb network cable). Can't see
>rthis described anywhere, but with the proliferation of htpc,s I
>can't be the first to have thought of it.

The data sent by USB to a USB-UIRT is not the same as the signal that
is eventually emitted by the IR LED on the device. The data sent via
USB is unlikely to be in a format that your STB would understand.

If you could find documentation on what method your STB does accept,
a LIRC driver could, theoretically, be written. But I suspect that it
might actually be easier to not use LIRC at all at that point, since
the data you'd be sending wouldn't really have anything to do with IR.