[mythtv-users] Mouse friendly myth?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Oct 30 15:53:40 UTC 2009

On 10/23/2009 05:47, LuKreme wrote:
> I noticed that all the default myth GUIs are very mouse hostile, as in
> they cannot be controlled with only a mouse. At the very least, it
> appears that a mouse and an escape key are absolutely required as none
> of the GUIs I looked at let you back track up the menu tree with the
> mouse.

MythTV has never been a program that followed feature requests.
Development has always followed what direction developers and other
contributors want to take it.  Being programmed in unpaid spare time,
myth will always be programmed for behavior the contributors want to
use.  With all of them having used mythtv for several years, they're all
used to using remotes, and are not likely to see much utility in a mouse.

If you want keyboard support, dive into the code, spend a few days, and
write something.  Write a MythUI widget that pops up when you left click
on any non-button area of the screen.  You probably don't want it
triggered on movement, because it would get triggered just trying to
access menu entries, and would be unusable by touchscreens.  If you get
lost, ask in the 'mythtv' mailing list, or on #mythtv at irc.freenode.net.
Even a mostly functional if poorly coded patch will get far more
attention than a feature request without one.