[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and SD?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:12:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:25:20PM -0400, greg wrote:
> > Matt Emmott wrote:
> > >I've finally gotten my HD-PVR working with the .22RC. There are
> > >still some issues that I need to look into, but those are for
> > >another post. This morning I tried tuning to some SD channels and
> > >all hell broke loose. I'm wondering, does the HD-PVR support
> > >standard definition broadcasts or is it HD only?
>
>     Perhaps an issue with the firmware? How up to date is it?
>
>    I have a recent "amazon" unit that worked just fine with SD
> material using the SD inputs. I have been recording SD on the
> component inputs of my original HD-VPR for a long time due to
> limitations in my frontend hardware.
>
>    How good is the SD signal you're trying to record?

The box is a newer rev, C1 if I remember correctly (I'm at work so I can't
check) but I couldn't find any way to see what firmware it was running. I
downloaded the latest Windows drivers and plugged it into my laptop, which
updated, um, something I think. I had a ton of updates waiting for me on the
Mythbox so I ran an update and rebooted, and now performance is much better.
The recordings seem to stay in sync and I can switch to SD without issue
(although it segfaults one of my frontends).

I did run into an issue where the box just decided that /dev/video0 no
longer existed and it took a cold boot to make it come back. If the issue
persists I'll log a ticket.