[mythtv-users] Firewire problem with Shaw Cable

Tim Korsrud public at korsrud.com
Sat Oct 31 02:02:36 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Tim Korsrud <public at korsrud.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a Pace 775D that has been working to record via firewire. On Oct 15
>> it stopped recording.  The channel changing is working, but recoded files
>> are empty. When I go to the diagnostics page 21, the 1394 status is listed
>> is disabled.  Does this mean that something has changed on shaw's end? I
>> don't recall what it said when it was working.
>>
>> I also have a motorola DCT-6200 that is mostly working via firewire.  I say
>> mostly working because some channels do not work correctly, but the DCT-6200
>> had these problems before.

I called Shaw in Saskatoon regarding the firewire port this week.  At
first they told me that nothing had changed, but I explained that it was
working, and now is disabled in the service menu.  They told me that the
firewire port was never intended to be activated and was deactivated on
all of shaw's cable boxes.  I told them that the firewire port was one
of the main reasons I subscribed to Shaw, and that it had been working
for the past 6 months.  They told me there is nothing they could do.

I then emailed them to ask again if there is something that could be
done, and I got the same response that the never intended to enable to
the firewire port and it will not be reenabled.

Has any one been successful in getting Shaw to address their firewire
issues?  I know that I could buy a HD-PVR, but I would rather not go to
that expense.

Tim Korsrud