[mythtv-users] 24fps Movies and new 120Hz LCD TV

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 02:11:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/3/6 James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>
>
> I just purchased a brand new 52" Samsung LCD from Newegg (LN52A650).  It's
>> fantastic!  Great colors and everything looks sharp.  No dead pixels
>> either.  Anyway, I hooked up my frontend to the panel using VGA (HDMI cables
>> are on their way as we speak).  I have the color adjusted on that input so
>> it looks better using the sudo nvidia-settings command.  However, I've
>> noticed that when playing ISO movies, the TV is showing 60Hz instead of the
>> 24hz (24fps).  I have been looking online, but haven't found anything
>> conclusive as to how I can tell xine, mplayer or the Internal player to use
>> 24hz.  Someone said to wrap up the command (mplayer, xine, etc) in an xrandr
>> script.  Is anyone doing something similar to this now?  Is there a generic
>> script that will detect the native frame rate of a video, then pass that to
>> the xrandr command which then passes to a player?  I'm planning on
>> purchasing a PCI 9400 from newegg ($75).  Would this help in my quest for
>> smooth, perfect video?  Thanks for the assistance!
>>

> mythtv, xine, mplayer etc.. won't change the TV refresh rate to match the
> videframerate.
> using this patch: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5643 will help but
> there are inner problem when using nvidia card. nvidia drivers do not report
> the actual refresh rate but a unique value starting from 50.
>
> As such, I updated those patches to be able to handle those weird reported
> refresh rate:
>
> http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%26_Add-Ons/Entries/2009/2/16_Match_refresh_rate_with_input_framerate_to_reduce_judder_and_nVidia_xrandr_support.html
>
> If you search this distribution list, last month I posted the script I use
> for starting mplayer that does the same job: it will use xrandr to set the
> right refresh rate, then start mplayer...
>
> Another thing to be aware of, if you're not using vdpau but Xv, do not do
> this. There's a bug in the nvidia drivers, when using a display at 24Hz to
> watch content at 24 fps, then X11 start using 100% of the CPU, and
> everything crawl to an end...

Well, it took a while, but I finally got my nVidia 9500GT 512MB PCIe card.
I'm using Jean-Yves repo, and VDPAU seems to be working fine.  CPU usage is
very low 3-4% when playing x.264 content.  I'm now trying the xrandr frame
rate patch that's included in JYA's repo.  I've enabled the "Separate Video
modes for GUI and TV playback" and setup the 1920x1080 GUI and Video Output
and left Rate and Aspect alone.  I have not done any overrides for specific
video sizes.  However, I don't see the area where JYA says to input the
location of a text file w/ refresh rates in it.  Could this be because my
backend is not running JYA's repo?  Thanks for the assistance!

Jim Oltman