[mythtv-users] (US) Dump Comcast for a dish, good Mythtv decision?

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 01:42:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Craig Treleaven<ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Another option, just to muddy the waters further, is over-the-air broadcast TV; possibly supplemented by streamed content.  Digital OTA is way easier to receive than analog was and has less compression applied than a lot of cable or satellite companies use.  Once the antenna and tuner(s) are in place, there are NO FEES to any company for content although this is where streaming comes in if something that you want to watch is not on the airwaves.  No messing with IR blasters and an external box.  Check out TV Fool or 2150.com to see what you can expect to get in your area.
>
> Craig

Agreed.  I have a substantial investment in digital tuners that I will
definitely use for OTA.  I doubt I'll be able to convince the other
members of my family that OTA is good enough.  I'm not sure that
streamed content is convenient enough. but if I could get a
subscription to about 5 cable/satellite channels, that would probably
be enough:

Comedy Central
A&E
Bravo
Discovery
TLC

I can't think of the last time I watched anything that wasn't on one
of those or OTA.  Maybe all of their content is available streamed, I
haven't looked.  Has the quality of streamed video increased over the
past few years?  Would it be watchable on a high def set? Is there an
accepted method (accepted by the content providers) to watch these
streams through mythtv?

BIll