[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 02:33:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/9/1 Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com>:
>
> > I've been using hand-me-down cards from older systems with good success.
> > The 8600 GT was the first I opened my wallet to get better video
> performance
> > and I spent about a week trying to get it to work.  Last night I opened
> my
> > wallet again to purchase a PCI FX5200.  I'm sick of the 8600 GT.
>

> Weird, a 8600GT is a great card, and has shown none of the problem
> more recent cards gave me...
>
> No doubt your issues are configuration ones which could have been
> easily worked around...
>
> The 5200 is pretty bad in comparison

I guess "I give up" is my frustration coming through.  The FX5200 won't be
here for a few more days.  If anybody has suggestions that would still help
resolve the 8600 GT problems and get it running, I'd welcome them.

I know the 8600 is a better card.  I'd really like to get it working.

As a side note, in trying fix the 8600 problems, I upgraded from MythBuntu
8.04 to 8.10, then again to 9.04.  Now I battling other problems related to
dependencies following the upgrade.

If you have other ideas on the 8600, please let me know.

I thought of one other thing that I don't believe should cause a
problem...but I'll throw it out there.  The svideo out on the card goes
directly into an svideo-to-composite adapter.  I have a composite cable
going from the other side of the adapter to the TV.  Does the 8600 need a
direct svideo (card) to svideo (TV) connection?  I used the same
svideo-to-compsite converter with the previous FX5200 AGP card.  That worked
without a problem.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments.
Greg