[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 1 02:38:55 UTC 2009

On Tue Sep  1 12:33 , Greg Hermsen  sent:

>On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>2009/9/1 Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com>:
>

>> I've been using hand-me-down cards from older systems with good success.
>
>> The 8600 GT was the first I opened my wallet to get better video performance
>
>> and I spent about a week trying to get it to work.  Last night I opened my
>
>> wallet again to purchase a PCI FX5200.  I'm sick of the 8600 GT.
>

>Weird, a 8600GT is a great card, and has shown none of the problem
>
>more recent cards gave me...
>

>No doubt your issues are configuration ones which could have been
>
>easily worked around...
>

>The 5200 is pretty bad in comparison

>I guess "I give up" is my frustration coming through.  The FX5200 won't be here
for a few more days.  If anybody has suggestions that would still help resolve
the 8600 GT problems and get it running, I'd welcome them.

>I know the 8600 is a better card.  I'd really like to get it working.
>
>As a side note, in trying fix the 8600 problems, I upgraded from MythBuntu 8.04
to 8.10, then again to 9.04.  Now I battling other problems related to
dependencies following the upgrade.

>If you have other ideas on the 8600, please let me know.
>
>I thought of one other thing that I don't believe should cause a problem...but
I'll throw it out there.  The svideo out on the card goes directly into an
svideo-to-composite adapter.  I have a composite cable going from the other side
of the adapter to the TV.  Does the 8600 need a direct svideo (card) to svideo
(TV) connection?  I used the same svideo-to-compsite converter with the previous
FX5200 AGP card.  That worked without a problem.

I believe the cable required is different.. (6 pin vs 4 pin)...

Unfortunately 1 of my 8600 GT's died... I think it's my fault in aiming for
absolute silence it wasn't getting enough airflow over the heat sink... had an
8400 GS.. and given this is only going to a 22" screen haven't been able to
notice the difference between Advanced 2* and Temporal 2*...