[mythtv-users] mythcommflag is pretty darn amazing

James D. Goddard pubear at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 1 19:25:13 UTC 2009

> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> MythTV's commflagging has worked quite well for me for almost four
>> years, with very few false positives or false negatives. (I use All
>> Methods and Strict on -fixes.) But it managed to impress me again
>> today.
>>
> When I setup my first Myth system several months ago, the comm flagging
> seemed to miss a lot or often go beyond the end of the comms and skip
> part of the show. Maybe around 25% of the time if goofed.
> For the last month or so it has been working almost flawlessly. I'd say
> it's working at better than 90% accuracy. This is without a doubt my
> favorite feature of Myth. Every time it skips a commercial I have to
> fight the urge to send money to whoever is responsible for it. :-)

This brings up a question that I and my wife had just the other day.  I have
finally gotten a myth box set up and in the living room, and the wife is
THRILLED.  There is no substitute for getting her to use it to get the
buy-in.  I worked for years to convince her that it was a worthwhile
project, but until I went ahead and did it, the reaction was basically "VHS
tapes work just fine for me."  The commflagging is definitely one of the
best features, along with getting rid of "well, we have a bit of time to
watch something, should we stick in mystery tape no. 1, or mystery tape no.
2?"

My question is, what is the best way to financially support MythTV?  I love
OSS software and pimp it to anybody who will listen, but I would love to
help support the development of this wonderful project.  If I ever get a
little more free time, I hope to jump onto -testing and help the development
more directly, but for a project(s) this amazing, I wouldn't mind speaking
with my wallet.

Thanks to all involved, developers as well as the helpful people on this
list.

Jim