[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 2 13:57:19 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 07:26:01 Jarod Wilson wrote:

> If VMware kernel modules don't build and KVM is painfully slow,
> consider trying VirtualBox. The open source edition is even packaged
> in some 3rd-party Fedora repos, and unlike VMware, Sun (and
> contributors) are actually on top of making sure everything works on
> current upstream kernels. I'm running it myself on an older machine w/
> gobs of disk and memory but no hardware virt extensions, works quite
> well.

I will also throw in my vote for VirtualBox. It allows you to use a USB device
on a remote RDP client, which is pretty cool.

It's so easy to set up that I was able to sccessfully talk a fellow who had
never seen a Linux system through setting it up on Linux over the phone.

I'm running it on a dual Opteron 275 system (no latest virt extensions) with
16GB of RAM and it works great.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org