[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Wed Sep 2 17:51:13 UTC 2009

Jon Whitear <jon at whitear.org> writes:

> With the upcoming release of .22, I’m looking at upgrading my backend
> box (P4, 1GB RAM) which also serves as web server, mail server, media
> storage, Asterisk box etc., all currently running under Gentoo.
>
> Ideally, I would like to use VM appliances such as Mythbuntu, Zimbra
> and TrixBox with the aim of minimising maintenance and maximising
> functionality (e.g. move from plain postfix to Zimbra, have working
> IMAP voicemail.)
>
> This raises a few questions, first of which is “Is virtualisation
> ready for the mainstream?”, i.e. can it be deployed without too much
> tinkering under the hood and other voodoo, and is it stable? There
> doesn’t seem to have been much talk about virtualisation on the list
> recently, so I thought it would be interesting to hear other people’s
> experiences and advice.

I've been running Myth under Xen for more than a year. I need Xen to do
PCI pass through of a Nova-T 500. You can search the lists for more
info, but basically I don't think I've seen any issues due to
virtualization (but I don't yet run other VMs on a regular basis, so
don't know how well it works under heavy load)

/Jeppe