[mythtv-users] DVB-S: lost ability to record multiple channels

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:53:20 UTC 2009

On 02/09/2009, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:
> Nick Morrott schrieb:
>
> > On 02/09/2009, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists at xunil.at> wrote:
>

> > If you have enabled multirec on a capture card, its inputs need to be
>  > in their own inputgroup, i.e. not the Generic group. When you setup
>  > your cards from scatch, this should happen automatically.
>

> ok ... what I still haven't understood:
>
>  Two cards DVB0 and DVB1 ... for each card there are 2
>  input-group-settings available.
>
>  Inputgroup 1 gets automatically set to DVB0 for card DVB0, which sounds
>  correct.
>
>  Inputgroup 2 stays at value "generic" ... dunno.
>
>  Doesn't that result in the fact that both encoders(?) on card DVB0 are
>  in the same inputgroup and therefore blocking each other?

Each physical tuner should be in its own inputgroup. So, card 1 can be
in inputgroup "DVB1" and card 2 can be in inputgroup "DVB2". Any
virtual tuners (automatically created when you set the number of
simultaneous recordings on a capture card to a number greater than 1)
are put in the correct inputgroup. You should not have to change the
input group as mythtv-setup will choose the correct one for you
(generic if multirec is disabled, or a new group if multirec is
enabled).

Each physical tuner (one physical tuner per /dev/dvb/adapterx device)
can only tune to a single multiplex at a time. With multirec enabled
the virtual tuners associated with that physical tuner can record from
different channels available on that single mux, but to do so they
must all be in the same inputgroup.

With two separate cards (two /dev/dvb/adapters devices) you can tune
to two different multiplexes at the same time. With multirec enabled
you can record multiple stations on those two multiplexes at the same
time (station from mux 1 on card 1, stations from mux 2 on card 2, for
example). All of the virtual tuners on the first card need to be in
one inputgroup, and all of the virtual tuners on the second card need
to be in a different inputgroup.

If you have virtual tuners on different physical cards in the same
input group, or have the card assigned to the Generic inputgroup, you
will get blocking of inputs and will stop multirec from working as
intended.

Cheers,
Nick

--