[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network -- ready for mainstream?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Sep 2 23:39:31 UTC 2009

On 03/09/2009, at 6:08 AM, Raymond Wagner <> wrote:

> Step back, and think about what you actually want.  Do you just want
> these services in a separate file space for easier management?  Do you
> want these services partitioned off from the rest of the system for
> security and stability?

I want to be able to run pre-packaged appliances such as TrixBox so
that things "just work". For example Gentoo's Asterisk build doesn't
support IMAP mailboxes properly - I'm assuming that an appliance will
(if it says it will). I also want to ease system maintenance e.g.
Upgrading my Mythbuntu VM should have no impact on my Trixbox VM.

> Do you want to be able to migrate these images
> between different hardware (while live?)?  Do you want to run these
> services on a different OS (or kernel version)?

Different hardware? No. Different OS? Yes, as above.

> If you want better isolation for your services, look
> into vservers, which each have their own memory space and network
> address, in addition to a chrooted

Vservers use a common kernel, so won't really do what I want.

Thanks for the input. It does seem that virtualization is the current
buzzword but in this instance I think it is the right approach to
achieve what I'm trying to do.

Cheers,

Jon