[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 00:17:57 UTC 2009

>> Its pretty much "hit" even with almost all recent desktops and laptops
>> I've seen, save those with atom procs. I have around ten machines between
>> home and the office w/hw virt extensions, only two of which are
>> server-class.
>
> Yep. I didn't want to get into the atom and other 'power saving' cpus. If I
> said, < 3 years old you are probably good, I would have heard about it ;)

I checked and things are worse than I thought in this regard with
Intel. Even some of the brand new Core2 Quads don't have hardware
virtualization (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946&page=2). If you
care about this feature you better check carefully before you buy a
specific Intel chip. Don't just assume that because it is new and fast
that it has hardware virtualization.