[mythtv-users] Virtualisation in the home network – ready for mainstream?

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Thu Sep 3 15:50:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Greg Woods<greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> I'll stand by my original statement that it depends on exactly what
> hardware you have, at least in terms of the libvirtd-based
> virtualization performance. And based on what I've read in this thread,
> it is often difficult to tell in advance whether or not the hardware you
> are getting will support it.

Intel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Nehalem_Chipsets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization#Intel_Virtualization_Technology_for_x86_.28Intel_VT-x.29

AMD:
Yes unless it is old or is particularly cheap Sempron. Budget virt
boxes is pretty much the only place AMD wins over Intel right now, as
Intel uses it to segment their market.